Software Engineer (All Levels)
About the role
Our Software Engineers write code for globally recognised, award-winning products from heating thermostats to cutting-edge medical devices.
We are looking for talented software engineers at all levels to join our growing team in Cornwall. You should be passionate, curious, have a good level of programming skills (ideally in C, C++ or C#), have a desire to learn, a dedication to delivering quality code and looking for a workplace full of intelligent, friendly people.
Bluefruit currently needs Junior Developers, Software Engineers, and experienced Senior Embedded Engineers.
Across all our engineering roles we need people interested in continuously learning, sharing and applying our Lean-Agile practices to deliver quality code as part of a team of motivated and client-focused Engineers. Formal academic qualifications aren’t required, but we are looking for people with solid coding skills.
You get a “buzz” from developing quality code that “does what it says on the tin”. You are open-minded and enjoy technically challenging software projects, plus:
- You are a team player and enjoy sharing ideas, problem-solving and believe in the value of testing
- You are motivated to deliver high-quality work and be part of a high-performing Lean-Agile team
- You are interested in working in ways that include TDD, BDD, pair programming, sprints, and retrospectives
- You would appreciate joining a positive and progressive workplace full of intelligent, friendly people
For more senior roles we are also looking for:
- Experience working at an excellent level of C++ or C#
- Experience working on several different projects
- Familiar with a wide variety of technologies
- Knowledge of digital electronics or mechanical engineering would be very useful
- Clear communication skills and an ability to work well with others
Diversity confident, we use non-biased recruitment practices to hire based on skill and potential, not gender or background. We ask anyone interested in a role to complete a coding exercise (dojo) that is anonymised to avoid bias. From the results of that dojo, we get a better idea of skill levels and potential. We then select people to join us for informal interviews and dev taster days in our offices in Cornwall, so we can get to know you better and see how you would fit in with the teams. Video conferencing is possible for people not able to travel, but it’s important to note, all roles are based in our Cornwall office.
Bluefruit Software is a world leading embedded software company, widely regarded for the quality of our code and our Lean-Agile practices.
The company was set up by engineers and we’ve worked hard to create an environment where programmers can thrive. We believe in regular feedback loops and a strong understanding of the client requirements. We use a wide variety of constantly evolving processes to ensure that projects run smoothly and efficiently. This includes using Test-Driven Development (TDD) and Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD) to write code that won’t come back later to bite you or our clients.
Working at Bluefruit
We are a growing embedded software company, with 60+ people based in the heart of Cornwall. At Bluefruit we don’t just say “work-life-balance”, we actively encourage it, with our focus on flexitime, not overtime. Listening and discovery are a part of our culture and we are committed to providing a work environment that encourages learning and development for all colleagues. We are a Disability Confident employer and we take employee health and wellbeing very seriously with a number of employee support schemes in place.
Some of the other benefits of working at Bluefruit:
- Regular salary reviews
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Flexitime available
- Great maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Simply Health Cash Back Scheme
- Free access to a financial planner
- Free on-site parking
- Onsite café
- Free onsite gym
- Free weekly yoga class
- Chill-out room with pool table
- Free fruit, tea, coffee, and espresso machine
- Company social and culture guilds
- Cycle to work scheme
- Beaches within a 10-minute drive from our offices
- Hiking and biking trails on our doorstep
Salary: £25k – £50+ (+ relocation costs if required)
Please note, we are only able to consider applicants with the right to work in the UK.
Please fill in the form below. We will then be in touch with more details about the coding exercise. This exercise is a way for us to better understand your potential to work at Bluefruit. We are mainly looking at approach and effort. Please get in touch if you have any questions about the exercise.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org