Embedded software and firmware development
Embedded software development specialists
For the past 20 years, Bluefruit Software has worked closely with its clients to deliver high-quality embedded software and firmware solutions across a range of sectors.
We have a team of over 70 people based in our Cornwall office. This includes multi-disciplinary software development teams consisting of Embedded Software Engineers, Software Test Engineers, and Quality Analysts. Our teams are also able to bring in additional support from experts in User Experience (UX), Lean-Agile Processes, Medical Device Compliance, and Embedded Hardware Design.
Bluefruit’s embedded engineers have a wide knowledge of programming languages, processors, connectivity options, platforms, motor control, user interfaces and embedded programming disciplines. With experience gained from working on over 100 different products, all with their own unique technical requirements, there isn’t much we haven’t seen. Our software engineers and testers have the knowhow, breadth of experience and the technical skills needed for your project to succeed.
Our teams have skills and experience in:
- Multiple languages, including C, C++, C#, Assembly, Rust, VHDL, Python, Perl, PHP, VB.NET and more
- Writing firmware, including bootloaders
- Bare Metal Programming
- Embedded Linux
- Real-Time Programming and Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS)
- AI for embedded, including deep learning, training, and integrating neural networks and machine vision
- Connectivity technologies, including IoT, across USB, Embedded EtherNet, Wi-Fi, RS232/RS485, CAN-bus, TCP/IP, RFID, GSM/GPRS/3G/4G/5G, Cloud, Thread and more
- Device security, including reverse engineering, offensive-minded testing, and best practices for writing safe, hardened firmware and protocols
- Embedded Windows
- Development for a wide range of processor architectures, such as ARM, MIPS, x86, AVR and 8051, and microcontroller brands like ST, Microchip, Atmel, Nordic and NXP Programming for ultra-low power and harsh environments
- Digital Signal Processing
- Motor control experience including BLDC (brushless DC), PMSM (permanent magnet synchronous motor), AC and stepper motors
- Writing applications to connect embedded systems with Windows, Linux and Mac OS
- User Interface development, for example using Qt
- Agile technical practices on embedded platforms such as TDD, BDD, CI build servers and living documentation
Check out our skills pages for more information on what our team can do.
Embedded systems are everywhere, but all too often high-quality embedded software is not.
Prioritising quality, compliance and users is central to how we develop embedded software and firmware. We do this by being Lean-Agile, having Quality Analysts and Testers on our teams and ensuring dedication to our test-first approach to software development. We have successfully delivered projects that meet industry standards and know how to deliver software projects that meet even the strictest compliance requirements.
Our clients come to us with embedded software projects at all stages of the product lifecycle. If you are at the beginning of your product journey, we can happily help with road mapping, embedded design consulting, and early stage prototypes.
If you have an existing product, we can work with you to add new features or work to update a legacy project. Our team also has experience picking up problem projects, including those with known issues in software reliability or quality.
Our team are happy to have a look at your requirements and can even provide a code review on existing products. We will always be open and honest with what we find and will work hard to provide our best estimates on not only how long our work will take, but also how hard it might be to undertake.
“Bluefruit provide a professional, innovative and technical team in a very friendly environment.
“They display a culture of continuous improvement in everything they do for us, this and their positive approach to every challenge makes them a great partner to work with.”
Nancy Ashburn, Watson-Marlow Fluid Technology Group
Fit and flex
We’re not a one-size-fits-all type of company. From a team with two developers and a software tester to large teams working on multiple project strands, we’re able to put together the right mix of skills and build a team to meet your needs.
We understand every project is different with their own unique software requirements, but here are a few examples of the type of embedded projects we’ve been working on:
- Machine vision in medical point-of-care devices
- Remote AI monitoring and diagnostics within the field of large engines
- Legacy hardware and software replacements, including quality updates
- Bare Metal and brushless motor control work on biopharmaceutical equipment
- Over 15 years of development work for a range of award-winning scientific and laboratory equipment
- Dozens of robust and secure bootloader updates for firmware-over-the-air IoT devices
- Adding 21 CFR Part 11 functionality to embedded devices
- Connecting commercial, scientific, medical and industrial equipment to the Internet of Things
- Agile development in aerospace systems
- … and more
All the software we build is ready for change. Whether it’s small updates or working to planned releases of new functionality, our Lean-Agile approach ensures we provide our clients with software that grows in step with their business. We can meet the evolving requirements of our clients’ customers and end users, and respond to emerging technology and scientific innovation.
Head to our industries pages to find out how our teams work with our clients to help them create innovative products.
Embedded software insights
❝ A 'can do' approach shines through on each project, with customer satisfaction very much at the top of the list. ❞
❝ Paul and his team have worked with us on a number of projects and bring an extra dimension to software product development in terms of their commitment and technical expertise. ❞
❝ With years of working together, we regard Bluefruit as a valued extension of our internal product development team. ❞
❝ Bluefruit provide a professional, innovative and technical team in a very friendly environment. They display a culture of continuous improvement in everything they do for us, this and their positive approach to every challenge makes them a great partner to work with. ❞
Are you looking for embedded software specialists?
For the past 20 years, we’ve been providing quality software development, testing services and consulting to a host of clients, across a range of industries. From firmware to user interfaces, we have the right team for you. So, why not book a call and find out how we can help you with your latest project?